I was minding my own business this afternoon, enjoying a very pleasant run on the Olympic trails at Mount Van Hoevenberg when I heard rustling in the leaves. As I turned to locate the source of the sound, a male ruffed grouse catapulted out of the woods, hissing and shrieking. He ran straight at me with his feathers puffed up, madly flapping his outstretched wings, while emitting bizarre and aggressive vocalizations. He struck a very intimidating posture, like the grouse in today’s featured photo, only scarier. I had interrupted this courting, hormone-crazed bird and he was hopping mad. What could I do but turn-tail and run away as fast as I could, from this sex-crazed, two-pound sack of hollow bones and feathers!
My name is Joann
I love outdoor adventures, the natural world, and the lifestyle and culture in the Adirondack Mountains. Welcome to the Adirondack Lifestyle.
Adirondack Lifestyle on Instagram
Search Adirondack Lifestyle
Lake Placid Real Estate Lake Placid maple syrup skiing Adirondack Real Estate Market Fall weather Snow The Adirondack Lifestyle swimming cross-country skiing Bears Seasons Adirondack views Ziggy wellness Nordic skiing Wildlife Lake Placid the lake Fall foliage Whiteface Mountain Moose Spring outdoor recreation Mt. Marcy Real Estate trail running backcountry skiing Adirondack Lifestyle Wellness Theory Summer deer outdoor living Alpine skiing eye candy Adirondack Great Camp hiking outdoors Telemark Tuesday Snow Pics foliage Adirondack Lifestyle yoga nature Mt. Van Hoevenberg Wildflowers
Some of Our Popular Posts
- First Day of September Brings Snow to the Adirondack Mountains
- Short But Sweet Adirondack Hikes – Owls Head Mountain
- Black Bear Attacks Dog and Man in the Adirondacks
- Short But Sweet Adirondack Hikes – Baxter Mountain
- Swimming in the Adirondacks
- Twelve Moose Get GPS Radio Collars in New York’s Adirondack Mountains
- Hurricane Irene Damages in the Adirondacks
- Cascade Mountain: a Classic Adirondack Hike