I was minding my own business this afternoon, enjoying a very pleasant run on the Olympic trails at Mount Van Hoevenberg when I heard rustling in the leaves. As I turned to locate the source of the sound, a male ruffed grouse catapulted out of the woods, hissing and shrieking. He ran straight at me with his feathers puffed up, madly flapping his outstretched wings, while emitting bizarre and aggressive vocalizations. He struck a very intimidating posture, like the grouse in today’s featured photo, only scarier. I had interrupted this courting, hormone-crazed bird and he was hopping mad. What could I do but turn-tail and run away as fast as I could, from this sex-crazed, two-pound sack of hollow bones and feathers!
My name is Joann
I love outdoor adventures, the natural world, and the lifestyle and culture in the Adirondack Mountains. Welcome to the Adirondack Lifestyle.
Search Adirondack Lifestyle
Road Cycling deer Adirondack views nature The Adirondack Lifestyle Wildflowers outdoor recreation Whiteface Mountain outdoors Adirondack Real Estate Market yoga Lake Placid the lake Fall foliage Summer Spring Real Estate Moose Mt. Marcy maple syrup Adirondack Lifestyle Wellness Theory trail running wellness eye candy outdoor living Wildlife Fall Nordic skiing Adirondack Lifestyle Alpine skiing cross-country skiing Telemark Tuesday Mt. Van Hoevenberg hiking Snow weather foliage skiing swimming Lake Placid backcountry skiing Adirondack Great Camp Snow Pics Ziggy Lake Placid Real Estate Bears
Some of Our Popular Posts
- Short But Sweet Adirondack Hikes – Owls Head Mountain
- Black Bear Attacks Dog and Man in the Adirondacks
- Short But Sweet Adirondack Hikes – Baxter Mountain
- Swimming in the Adirondacks
- Twelve Moose Get GPS Radio Collars in New York’s Adirondack Mountains
- Cascade Mountain: a Classic Adirondack Hike
- Hurricane Irene Damages in the Adirondacks
- Stand-up Paddleboard Yoga in Lake Placid